Dental implants are high-tech replacement teeth that resemble the whole tooth structure. A titanium “root” is snugly inserted into the bone and is used to support a crown, bridge or over-denture. It looks, feels and acts like a real tooth and usually last a lifetime.
Dental implants are the best alternative to replacing missing teeth.
In this issue, we will discuss the public’s most important questions on dental implants.
What are some benefits of Dental Implants?
- Dental Implants prevent further bone loss. By preventing bone wasting which normally occur with the loss of teeth, the facial structures remain intact. This is especially important when all of the teeth are missing because the face tends to collapse if implants are not placed to preserve bone.
- Overall quality of life is enhanced with replacement teeth that look, feel and function more like natural teeth. You will look younger and more attractive increasing your confidence and self-image.
- You are likely to live longer because you will get to eat better and prevent malnutrition or stomach problems. You should place fresh vegetables and fruits back on the menu. Also, your chewing is improved and your digestion will be better as well.
- You can relax and don’t have to worry about your dentures moving around, popping out or causing discomfort. Implants are so securely attached that the fear of dentures falling out will be eliminated.
- You would be able to taste food more completely. When wearing an upper denture, the roof is usually covered. This prevents you from enjoying the palatal taste buds thereby adversely affecting your taste. With dental implants your palate remains free and open.
- No more need for denture adhesives. That sticky and messy denture glue will be a thing of the past.
Am I a Candidate for Dental Implant Treatment?
Most adults who are missing one or more teeth and in generally good health are candidates for dental implants. Quality and quantity of bone for implant placement is the main factor to consider. Today, we are able to predictably grow bone in certain cases. At CSD, we utilize the 3D dental CT-Scan to see the bone we cannot interpret on regular dental-rays.
Am I Too Old for Implants?
Your overall health and your desire to improve your quality of life are much more important things to consider than your age. The age of our dental implant patients range from 18 to 91 years old.
Chewing your food can be one of the last pleasures you have as your age. Many persons suffer through their denture experience. Some patients even lose their dentures and do not have anything else to help them chew. When dental implants are placed you are assured that you will be able to chew and have teeth for the rest of your life.
For more information, kindly visit our website at www.csddentistry.com
Dr. Kendal V. O. Major is Founder and CEO of Center for Specialized Dentistry which is a comprehensive family dental practice operating in Nassau and Freeport. He is the first Bahamian Specialist in gum diseases and dental implants since 1989. He also is a certified Fast braces provider. His practice is located at 89 Collins Avenue, Nassau at (242)325-5165 or [email protected].